Monday, April 18, 2011

Diary of a little seed- Part 1

Just before the children went on holiday, they planted some runner bean seeds. I told them that when they came back the seed would have grown into a little plant for them to bring home and care for. Although I am planning more planting with them in May, I wanted to create a little “seed diary” for them to watch. I got the idea from the wonderful site Playful Learning. Its author, Mariah Bruehl described how she and her girls took photos of an Amaryllis bulb every day to document its growth and changes. They made a video diary of the bulb’s life and I thought it was an excellent teaching method. So, I am going to try to do the same with our seeds. This is how far we are at the moment:


Wednesday 13th April

Sunday 17th April

Monday 18th April

I found it fascinating to see the little seed bringing forth to life, taking root and flourishing. It is also a great way to introduce the children to the cycle of life.  I will definitely post our little video later on. So keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment right here. Thank you :)