Friday, January 18, 2013

Another Montessori counting game ...

This week, I introduced the children to a new game to practise number recognition and help them to associate quantities to numerals. I gave the children a plate with a card representing a number from 0 to 6. I asked them to read the number on their card and to go and retrieve the corresponding amount of items. Waaaaa.. They loved the game! There were a few mistakes made the 1st time we played it but they finally got the hang of it. None of them liked to get the number 0 but I think it does help the smaller kids to fully grasp the concept of "nothing" associated with 0. Though the children worked well with the loose number  cards, I thought it would be much more practical to have the numbers actually taped onto the plate. So I cut little squares of paper, wrote a numeral on each of them and taped it down. It is easier to tidy up! I just forgot to take a picture but you get the idea.